Monday, January 17, 2011

In Celebration & Memoriam of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

I know I take advantage of a lot of things, and I don't appreciate a lot of the blessings in my life. But I have always loved my home, my country, AMERICA. I'm so grateful to live in a country where, despite histories of prejudice and racism, a man of color is able to stand as our elected executive leader. I love that my home country is one that allows me to vote, regardless of my gender, my religion, or my mixed heritage.

Part of what makes (and has made) this country such a remarkable place is the citizens who stand for what is right and refuse to back down. Dr. King, a reverend from the segregated South, understood that injustice and bigotry are unacceptable. He was willing to do what he knew was right. And with him, a generation of visionaries stood against centuries of hatred and intolerance.

And thank God they did! This country (nay, the world!) is a different and better place now than it was then. The narrow-minded cultures of the past have not been eradicated, but they have been shaken to their cores. People in this country are no longer afraid to stand for justice and love. Racism is no longer the ever-present cloud of hatred that it once was. Now, I can look upon those around me, not as Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Islanders, Asians, or anything else, but as fellow human beings. All because a few choice men and women, and namely Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., dreamed of a brighter future.


May your Dream live forever, Dr. King.
Thank you for all you have done for the welfare of this country and its citizens.
God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment