Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Jimmer

My life has been taken over by a man I've never met.
He goes by the name of Jimmer Fredette.

And he looks like this:
Recent events, mostly instigated by Mrs. Michelle Peralta, have set fire to the already crazed BYU Cougar basketball fans, myself included. I have homework to do. I have stories to write. I have tests to study for. And all I can do is think about the great James "Jimmer" Taft Fredette. And watch Jimmer videos on ESPN.com. And read sacrilegious comments that put His name (um I mean, his name) into scriptures like the following:

‎"Our Jimmer which art in Provo, Hallowed be thy game. Thy points will come, Thy wins be done at home, as they are on the road. Give us this day our daily 3s. And forgive us our poor fan behavior, as we forgive our rival's fans' ignorance. And lead us not into poor shot selection, but deliver us from losses: For thine is the MWC Championship, and the Final Four, and the championship glory, for ever. Amen."
-- The Lord's Prayer, adapted for a BYU audience by McKay Bushnell --

It's ridiculous. It's obsessive. It's unreasonable. It's HILARIOUS. And it's amazing. I realize people get a little crazy when it comes to spectator sports, but a little school spirit never hurt anyone! It's healthy and it's normal. I don't understand how people could compare this with idol worship. Granted, perhaps I should remove the candles, incense, and dead chickens from my Jimmer shrine; that may be a little excessive...

I just love him so much. I still reflect on the day where Jimmer Fredette, the one and only, came in to Jamba Juice last summer and asked me, Michaela Peringer, to make him a Peanut Butter Mood. And I made it. And I handed it to him. And he was refreshed.

Bless you, Jimmer. May the fervor you've introduced to BYU sports never fade. And may the Michelles of the world realize your greatness and never doubt again. Amen.



Michelle = Mrs. Peralta, NOT Obama's wife lol

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, one of my best friends at BYUH grew up with/is super good friends with McKay Bushnell! So funny.
    I love all of this Jimmer-ness. The Jimmer is so wonderful.
    And you could totally liken that Jamba Juice story to "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" type situation...that would be absolutely hysterical :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like my jimmer shirts

    http://sloanshirts.spreadshirt.com/women-s-heather-jersey-tee-A7207368/customize/color/184

    ReplyDelete