Monday, January 10, 2011

just one day at a time

I love Elder D. Todd Christofferson. He's my favorite apostle (if you're allowed to have favorite apostles), and I think he's just so... CLASSY. (That's my word of the year, classy.)


I got to attend a CES fireside last night* where Elder Christofferson spoke about the importance of taking a step back and realizing that a successful life is made of successful DAYS. It's good to plan for the future, but we don't live in the future. We live in the NOW. Learn and grow each day, and eventually you'll find the future you're looking for.

This has been a bit of a struggle for me. I get stressed out really easily, about stupid stuff. I'm always worrying about this thing or the other, and I constantly have to remind myself to slowwwww downnnnn. "There's nothing you can do about it now," I say. "Do what you can, and be happy." Hmm, easier said than done.

I needed this message. I hope everyone will remember, especially during tough times, to focus on just making it through the day. Each day brings us one step closer to our goals, whatever they may be: graduation, marriage, the Celestial kingdom. Take it one day at a time. Celebrate the small achievements. When it comes to righteous endeavors, you can do ANYTHING.

"In reality, there aren't many things in a day that are totally without significance. Even the mundane and repetitious can be tiny but significant building blocks that, in time, establish the discipline and character and order needed to realize our plans and dreams... You'll be able to rejoice in one more day, one more step toward eternal life."

You tell it, D. Todd :)

* I love going to school at BYU-Provo. On Saturday, I went to a basketball game and saw Elder Russell M. Nelson. On Sunday, I went to a CES fireside with Elder Christofferson. APOSTLE OVERLOAD, basically. It's wonderful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment